The ABCs of Life

Essays and thoughts on life as I know it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kauai then - now Rockaway Beach, MO, Hawaii

For twenty years I worked in Opera... first as a technician, scenic artist, costume maker, then in stage management and production, finally settling into directing as my career. I started at the Santa Fe Opera in the summer of 1971 and worked in Europe, Canada, the United States and stayed on staff at the Metropolitan Opera for 12 years. I then went back into art and design and started my own independent design and communication business. My dog and cat, birds and garden all keep me happy while I write and design.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Hawaii in the Fall

Today is November 9th. I am on the 9th day of NaNoWriMo. It is going reasonably better than the first year I entered. (2005) That time, I panicked and decided I had to drive from Santa Fe, NM to Alexandria, VA in order to have the support of friends to take on such a task. I got about 750 miles before I realized that I was running away. I turned around and drove back to Santa Fe - another 750 miles and started the task of writing the 50,000 words, but with fewer days now than if I had just stayed at home and started like I did this year.

Writing is kind of my last hope. I know this puts a lot of pressure on me to succeed. I have taken some of the 2005 work and self-published a 52 page book through Lulu.com

I am a little stuck on the next step of actually becoming an author who sells their work, but I am making some progress. A local store has offered to carry it for me. I think I order it at the author discount price, put it on the table where they feature local authors, they sell it for $10 and we each get a little of the profit that was created when I ordered it at a discounted price. I tend to get stuck on the math part of our space time reality continuum systems.

If you want to preview the book, click here for a link to the Lulu store site. I did the painting too.

I am working on children's stories this time around and enjoying it quite a bit. Would any of you like to read some of the first novel from which the first book was extracted? If so, just post a message and I will add another book blog for my writing work.

I have decided that I will stay in Hawaii and make a stand here. The running away doesn't work anymore. I am finally in a place that has a friendly climate, possibilities of lasting happiness and good atmosphere for me to enjoy my days with life around me in abundant beauty, an ocean surrounds this tiny island and the flowers, birds, way of life and people are just fine. So here I stay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home