The ABCs of Life

Essays and thoughts on life as I know it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kauai then - now Rockaway Beach, MO, Hawaii

For twenty years I worked in Opera... first as a technician, scenic artist, costume maker, then in stage management and production, finally settling into directing as my career. I started at the Santa Fe Opera in the summer of 1971 and worked in Europe, Canada, the United States and stayed on staff at the Metropolitan Opera for 12 years. I then went back into art and design and started my own independent design and communication business. My dog and cat, birds and garden all keep me happy while I write and design.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Working for the Santa Fe 400th Anniversary

It has been a wild turn of events since I last wrote. October 22nd I had an interview with the Chairman of the Santa Fe 400th Anniversary committee and was hired on the spot - handed the keys to the office - to set up an office for the city's birthday in 2010!

I had taken a chance on finding this man's number and calling him to meet and see where I might fit in to the whole project. They were about to place an ad for the only paid position they were starting with - office manager. My timing and good fortune were on my side that day.

The office started out pretty bare bones in a wonderful location. Gerald and Katie Peters donated an office in the Plaza Mercado on West San Francisco Street. It is two blocks from the Plaza and a delight to go to every day. The best part is that Madison is the office dog and goes with me to work. He is making quite a few friends on the third floor in suite 309. This job is not full time as they are really in the formative stages of this huge event.

I have the computers set up, the files organized, the coffee and tea pots going. I made hot chocolate for two boys who had a snow day and were accompanying their father on his job - measuring for new carpets in the hallways. Great fun!

I have gone to board meetings, taken transcription for the minutes, filled out forms for the IRS to make the committee a non-profit corporation. Created my own LLC and signed a contract with the city as a "vendor" to the office of the 400th. I have learned a lot in the last month. It is daunting at the beginning, but taken one step at a time, these forms and legalities are doable and understandable. Why we have to do this is another matter for another day.

The group is using 2008 to get ready, to get the city spruced up, working with historians and the schools to test out some panel discussions, getting the logo ready, a website designed, people in place to plan and carry out their work in 2009 and 2010. There was a contest for the public to submit logo designs. Then the city voted on their favorite.

Derek LaDuke of Albuquerque got the most votes. I met him just last week in Albuquerque. He is very talented. Studied Fine Art in College and Graphic Design in Graduate School. He now works for Lockheed Martin in 2D and 3D graphics for online training on their equipment for army personnel. The 400th group is still working out the details with a PR firm and then comes the website and print ads and news stories.

I have had a wonderful time setting up the office and helping this organization get a good platform built from which to continue their work. I have learned more than I thought I would in the 3 months of my contract. I am wishing them all good luck and good will for the work ahead of them. I am anticipating getting back to my writing routine mid-February and look forward to setting my own schedule every day. During this project, Madison lost his eyesight due to cataracts, had surgery last week to have them removed, is recovering very well and we are doing some of the work for the 400th at home. He should be pretty well healed up by the time this job ends and then we can go on our long walks again. He is quite a trooper and has made so many friends along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home